I pray that you and your family are healthy, joyful, and prosperous during this new year.
On Sunday, March 21, at 2:37 AM PST marks the start of spring and the beginning of the Persian new year also known as Nowruz, which is the oldest holiday in known history. A tradition which was started by the Zoroastrians 500 BC. The Persian Calendar was one the first Calendar’s to date and it equates the astrological calendar.
During Nowruz (New Day), we celebrate the gift of life and nature’s gift’s that help us through the coming year. For Nowruz we set up a spread called Haft Seen that consists of seven (lucky number) items that start with the letter S in Farsi. Each item symbolized the things that matter in life. I included nine items, it’s hard to choice seven, as all of the items symbolizing rebirth, power, love, patience, beauty, health, prosperity and sunrise make our lives that much more eventful.
I always describe Nowruz as Christmas, New Years and Easter all together. We celebrate the new year, set New Years resolutions, exchange gifts, visit family and friends, color eggs and show our appreciation towards our family’s and friends.
For more detailed information you can also look up Nowruz on wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowruz
There is a website that has listed the time and date of Persian New Year in most of the major city’s around the world. To find out the exact time of spring’s arrival in your city please go to: https://www.7seen.com/
1. Sabzeh (سبزه) — wheat, barley, or lentil sprouts to symbolize rebirth and growth.
2. Samanu (سمنو) — wheat germ sweet pudding, symbol of power and strength.
3. Senjed (سنجد) — Persian Olive, symbol of love.
4. Serkeh (سرکه) — vinegar, symbol of patience.
5. Seeb (سیب) — apple, symbol of beauty.
6. Seer (سیر) — garlic, symbol of health and medicine.
7. Somāq (سماق) — sumac, symbol of sunrise.
8. Sonbol (سنبل) — Hyacinth plant, symbol of spring’s arrival.
9. Sekeh (سکه) — Coins, symbol of wealth and prosperity.
1. Colored eggs (تخممرغ رنگی) — colored eggs, symbol of fertility.
2. Candles (شمع) — candle, symbol of enlightenment.
3. Gold fish (ماهی قرمز) — Gold fish, symbol of progress.
4. Book (کتاب) — Book of poetry or religious book — symbol of wisdom.
I am available for the purchase or sale of your home. I welcome your referrals.
Wishing you a happy spring with prosperity and health.
Engel & Völkers Calabasas